Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For Bob

See the man on the left? I like to think that this was the happiest day of his life. I never asked him, but I believe it was. He is my Uncle Bob. I never called him uncle growing up. He was simply Bob, my Uncle Bobby's partner. I regret that I never called him uncle but I don't know that he minded so much. Back in July Bob and Uncle Bobby were married after 30 years together. I am very happy they were able to do this. I know what my religious belief mandates, but I love these two men and it made me happy to see them happy.
Bob surprised all of us on Saturday morning. Early, before the sun came up, he passed away. He was an educator his entire adult life. I did not get to spend much time with him, holidays mostly, but every chance I could I loved to discuss education and school with him. This was even before I was a teacher myself. He always gave sound advice when it came to school, work and money. He loved a good laugh. He would do anything for my uncle. He loved my Grana's creamed corn. He called our Thanksgiving turkey 'dead animal flesh'. That always made me laugh. My mother loved to buy him everything Coca-Cola and he always graciously said thank you, though I'm sure he had way more than he could ever want. I think it can be said that Bob truly did something with his life. He touched many as a teacher, principal and leader in the community. We will all miss him

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails